Director, Technology Operations & Cyber Security
Edmonton International Airport is a self-funded, not-for-profit corporation whose mandate is to drive economic prosperity for the Edmonton Region. EIA is Canada’s fastest-growing major airport over the past 10 years, the fifth-busiest airport by passenger traffic and the largest major Canadian airport by land area. EIA offers non-stop connections to 60 destinations across Canada, the US, Mexico, the Caribbean and Europe. At EIA you become part of a tightly knit team, working in a supportive environment, dedicated to fulfilling our vision of more flights to more places.
Is This Role for You?
Reporting to the Vice President, Technology & Innovation, the Director of Technology Operations and Cybersecurity is responsible for providing oversight of critical technology services to meet the needs of the airport community while optimizing existing systems, services, processes, and solutions with a planned transition to a strategic partnership and cloud first technology model. The director will be responsible for overseeing functions including: Cybersecurity, Technology Audit and Risk and Technology Operations.
In addition, the person we select will set strategy, implement initiatives and manage the achievement of objectives for the delivery of Technology services to the Edmonton International Airport (internal departments) and its Customers (Air Carriers, Passengers, Tenants). The outcomes include:
• a high degree of EIA and Customer satisfaction from the delivery of technology products and services.
• value creation (price/performance) across supplier base and technology assets; and
• accurate financial planning and accounting of operational expenditures and revenues.
The leader in this role must achieve outcomes that significantly contribute to the department’s delivery of business value and support the corporation through its corporate strategic imperatives and initiatives. The Director will oversee an internal team and third-party partners to provide direction, vision, and overall accountability for their deliverables. The Director will also build and sustain a high performing team who demonstrate outstanding customer service and who provide quality work on a consistent basis.
Day in The Life
The Director, Technology Operations and Cybersecurity is accountable to the VP, Technology & Innovation, and operates within the context and prescribed limits established by the VP and organization.
The Position has the following accountabilities:
Strategy & Planning
• Oversee the development of existing and new practices for operational and cybersecurity services and solutions as well as supporting process improvement, organizational change, and operation efficiencies through the delivery of services and solutions.
• Oversee operational budgets, evaluate needs, conduct cost and productivity analyses, and determine the technology priorities to utilize capital effectively and efficiently.
• Reductions in OPEX and OTBS for all initiatives.
• Ensure an effective and efficient transition of commodity services to a strategic partner, managed service model.
• Plan and execute a transition of onsite data centers and services to the cloud.
• Lead the Cybersecurity function, including maturing our controls and address outstanding risk assessments and audit issues.
• Ensure Technology continuity plans and security and disaster recovery processes are developed and maintained.
• Build and sustain a highly engaged, productive and customer service-oriented team including third party and offshore groups.
Relationships and Service Delivery
• Invests in talent, builds and sustains a high performing team.
• Develop and promote long term relationships with vendors, contractors, airlines, tenants, and business partners to effectively meet the ongoing demands of the business.
• Cultivate and maintain a business partner and customer service relationship between IT and the organization; and
• Benchmark, analyze, report on, and make recommendations for the improvement and growth of the Technology operations and cybersecurity functions.
• Oversee program and project level budgets across portfolio and for various initiatives.
• Mature practices and capabilities based on frameworks (COBIT, ITIL etc.).
• Develop and implement technology policies and procedures, including those for architecture, security, disaster recovery, standards, cloud foundations and provisioning, and service provision.
• Develop requests for proposal and participate in selection of external services and products.
• Negotiate and administer vendor managed services, and consultant contracts and service agreements.
1. Acquired the following knowledge:
a. Post- Secondary degree in an applicable discipline and 15+ years related work experience in a dynamic fast paced technology environment.
b. 7+ years performing at a senior level in a technology services environment.
c. Strategic thinker with proven ability to develop IT strategic plans and goals and execute successfully based on business needs.
d. Successful track record of managing effective relationships with technology vendors and suppliers; and
e. A passion for providing outstanding customer service and technology.
f. Strong work ethic and a proven track record of personal accountability and a sense of ownership.
2. Demonstrated the following technical skills:
a. Certifications and deep experience with ITIL, Cybersecurity and Cloud domains.
b. Ideally, has experience in the Airport/Airline industry and/or Transportation & Tourism Field.
3. Demonstrated the successful use of social processing skills at an intergroup level.
a. Ability to develop strong working relationships with cross functional stakeholders in IT and business managing competing priorities in a dynamic, fast paced environment.
b. Strong problem-solving abilities.
c. Outstanding and demonstrated leadership skills.
d. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
e. Excellent interpersonal skills.
f. Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
g. Exceptional customer service orientation.
h. Extensive experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
i. Experience leading teams of 30+ staff and contractors.
j. Experience managing budgets from 3-10 million annually Opex.
k. Experience leading programs/projects 3+ million Capex.
l. Experience in working with managed service providers and offshore teams.
You will know you are successful by:
• Successful transition of initial selected infrastructure services to managed service provider with KPI’s.
• Roadmap developed for Cybersecurity program and progress on outstanding audit findings.
• Measurable improvements to IT Service Management (Incident, Problem and Change).
• Improved stability of operational environment.
• Improved staff engagement and teamwork.