Emergency Planning and Safety Coordinator
Edmonton International Airport is a self-funded, not-for-profit corporation whose mandate is to drive economic prosperity for the Edmonton Region. EIA is Canada’s fastest-growing major airport over the past 10 years, the fifth-busiest airport by passenger traffic and the largest major Canadian airport by land area. EIA offers non-stop connections to 60 destinations across Canada, the US, Mexico, the Caribbean and Europe. At EIA you become part of a tightly knit team, working in a supportive environment, dedicated to fulfilling our vision of more flights to more places.
The Emergency Planning and Safety Coordinator is accountable for the development, implementation and training of the Emergency Response Plan, and Safety Management Systems that create a safe operating environment for Edmonton Airports in all three (3) areas of safety programs. This includes combining industry best practices with occupational health & safety and aviation safety and emergency planning regulatory requirements. This position is also responsible for the ongoing development and administration of the Online Safety Management System database.
• Provide input to the Operation plans and directions, and ensure on-going appropriate relationships with other positions accomplished by time spent on the ground interacting with key stakeholders
• Development of Edmonton Airport Emergency Planning and Safety programs and exercises. This includes but is not limited to the Safety & Emergency management program, Safe Operating Procedures and Tabletop exercises.
• Conduct Emergency Preparedness and Safety related training to employees and stakeholders of the Organization.
• Execute updating of Emergency Procedures manual and testing per regulatory requirements under the Canadian Aviation Regulations.
• Advise on the Safety Management System (SMS) processes, which includes ensuring incident report quality, risk ranking and causal factors as required, and perform corrective actions that are specific and effective and followed through in a timely manner
• Advise and support EA employees as well as 3rd party stakeholders participating in the Safety Program.
• Ensure EIA remains compliant with TC Safety & Security regulatory requirements (ERS and Security regulated exercises and tabletops / ERP)
• Achieve compliance for our Airisde SMS and OH&S Safety programs
• Ensure that all emergency planning and regulatory and due diligence issues within the overall Program are identified and actioned in a timely manner.
• Coordinate appropriate EA representation in safety meetings by attending, sharing safety information and participating in the creation and distribution of EA Safety Grams.
• Ensure proper airside/groundside inspections are conducted on a daily basis to ensure regulatory compliance.
• Provide assistance with safety incident investigations by gathering evidence, sharing incident information with stakeholder management
• Advise on safety standards, regulations and legislative compliance and make recommendations to improve the health, safety and wellbeing of our employees
• Demonstrate a high performance, high discipline, safe, accountable, focused, innovative and achievement-oriented, easy to do business with manner of working.
• Demonstrated capability to manage time and information in adherence to emergency management and safety policies and standards
• Microsoft Office proficiency; particularly in Word, Excel and Outlook
• Understanding with working under a safety management system
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must be able to develop and train on Safety programs and Emergency Planning.
• Has demonstrated the successful use of social processing skills at an interpersonal level. Capability to deal with the public, ability to work with people in at different levels of organizations and ability to maintain positive working relations with professional discretion
• Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with stakeholders which is critical in the networking and collaboration in the development of programs and policies.
• Capacity and commitment to adapt effectively and efficiently to a specialized, dynamic and fast paced environment.
• Effective communications skills verbal and written combined with the ability to facilitate communication between cross functional teams and service partners
• OH&S Diploma/Certificate and/or related education or work experience
• Experience developing Emergency Planning and Safety programs and procedures and creating and providing training to groups of stakeholders.
• Knowledge and understanding of Provincial Legislation and Canadian Aviation Regulations/Canada Labour Code Part II
• Advanced knowledge of emergency planning and understanding of the Canadian Aviation Regulations
• 5+ years experience in aviation or an airport environment & expert knowledge of airside activities at a working airport an asset
• Ability to obtain and maintain an AVOP permit
• Poses a valid Alberta Class 5 drivers license and have a clean abstract
• Must secure and maintain appropriate airport security clearance and acceptable criminal records check