Edmonton International Airport is a self-funded, not-for-profit corporation whose mandate is to drive economic prosperity for the Edmonton Region. EIA is Canada’s fastest-growing major airport over the past 10 years, the fifth-busiest airport by passenger traffic and the largest major Canadian airport by land area. EIA offers non-stop connections to 60 destinations across Canada, the US, Mexico, the Caribbean and Europe. At EIA you become part of a tightly knit team, working in a supportive environment, dedicated to fulfilling our vision of more flights to more places.
The Site Technologist is accountable for creating and maintaining documents critical to airport site infrastructure. This includes producing updated site records and user specific drawings, as well utilizing and interpreting site documentation to provide information to end users in a variety of formats to achieve their business goals. The position has strong cross-functional relationships to all SBUs.
You might be wondering what you can expect in a typical day at work. Every day will bring new opportunities, focusing on key responsibilities, including:
• Provide input to the Technical Services plans and directions and ensure on going relationships with other positions and stakeholders.
• Review and report on project deliverables to internal and external stakeholders, ensuring compliance with Technical Services standards in a timely, documented and professional manner.
• Assist in assessing potential impact of building/site proposals for adherence to land use standards and development regulations.
• Assist with the management and update of the Airports’ infrastructure drawings and database as it relates to site specific items.
• Perform duties related to EIA’s asset management program, assisting with the development and implementation of the asset management plan and associated documentation in relation to site related assets.
• Updating key department records using various forms of technology following documented procedures on an established schedule and making them available to external and internal customers.
• Advise on data quality and providing context to the data’s history, allowing the end user to decide on how to use the information to meet their business needs.
• Using technical software such as GIS, CAD (Microstation or Autocad), Sharepoint, FME, asset management software, DAXEAM with a high level of expertise and demonstrate the ability to problem solve within the software achieve desired outputs.
• Support the Facility Alteration Permit process as required for the timely and informed administration of the Facility Alteration Permit process.
• A diploma in civil engineering, building construction or architectural technology from a recognized two-year program. Past experience and subsequent training may be considered as equivalents.
• Minimum 2 years’ experience with standard construction (civil) practices
• 2-3 years’ experience with geomatics/surveying
• Experience with the application of municipal land use and provincial safety codes and processes
• 2 years’ experience in CADD software and demonstrated knowledge on the application of good CADD practices (MicroStation, AutoCAD or Civil 3D), advanced knowledge of MS Office 365 and an aptitude for learning and working in new software programs
• An understanding or hands on experience of ESRI GIS software would be preferable
• Ability to read, apply and advise on regulatory & construction documents and practices in order to provide a practical response or solution, applying historical context where appropriate
• Ability to understand, apply and communicate regulatory requirements, EIA standards/guidelines and standard construction practices and their associated relationships in order to deliver appropriate outputs to stakeholders.
• Knowledge and experienced with Building code and municipal development codes and application processes
• Strong communications and interpersonal skills
• The ability to analyze client requests, recognize when more information is required in order to meet desired outcomes, and provide it in an appropriate manner