Safety – Summer Student
Edmonton International Airport is a self-funded, not-for-profit corporation whose mandate is to drive economic prosperity for the Edmonton Region. EIA is Canada’s fastest-growing major airport over the past 10 years, the fifth-busiest airport by passenger traffic and the largest major Canadian airport by land area. EIA offers non-stop connections to 60 destinations across Canada, the US, Mexico, the Caribbean and Europe. At EIA you become part of a tightly knit team, working in a supportive environment, dedicated to fulfilling our vision of more flights to more places.
Is This Role for You?
Reporting to the Safety Specialist, the Safety Summer Student is accountable for the administration and implementation of safety management systems that create a safe operating environment for Edmonton Airports in all Edmonton Airports safety programs. This includes combining industry best practices with occupational health & safety, public safety, contractor safety, & emergency planning. This position is also responsible for supporting the Emergency Planning & Safety Coordinator as needed.
Day in The Life
You might be wondering what you can expect in a typical day at work. Every day will bring new opportunities, focusing on key responsibilities, including:
• Review, and continuously update organizational codes of practice to ensure alignment to current occupational safety standards.
• Execute inspections of facilities, work areas, and equipment.
• Capturing, entering, and reviewing HSE related data; special projects
• Support the Safety department in assisting EA employees as well as 3rd party stakeholders participating in the Safety Program.
• Ensure that all regulatory and due diligence issues within the Safety Program are identified and actioned in a timely manner.
• Development of safety related training and e-learning and participate in the creation and distribution of EA Safety Grams.
• Ensure proper workplace inspections are conducted on a regular basis to ensure regulatory compliance.
• Provide assistance with safety incident investigations and safety audits by sharing incident information with stakeholder management.
• Provide assistance with ergonomics related concerns by assisting with assessments and sharing results and recommendations with EA employee and stakeholder management.
• Review safety standards, regulations and legislative compliance and make recommendations to improve the health, safety and wellbeing of our employees.
• Demonstrate a high performance, high discipline, safe, accountable, focused, innovative and achievement-oriented, easy to do business with manner of working.
• Successful candidate must be a student currently enrolled in a post-secondary program or registered to attend one in the fall. Transcript or proof of enrollment must be provided with submission of application.
• Knowledge and understanding of Federal Legislation and Canadian Aviation Regulations/Canada Labour Code Part II is an asset.
• Knowledge of emergency preparedness is an asset
• Poses a valid Alberta Class 5 drivers license and have a clean abstract
• MS Office proficiency; particularly in Word, Excel and Outlook
• Demonstrated capability to manage time and information
• Ability to exercise sound judgement
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
• Adaptable: ability to work effectively in different situations with different people
• Ability to obtain and maintain appropriate airport security clearance and an acceptable criminal record check.