Electrical Engineer/Engineering Technologist
Edmonton International Airport is a self-funded, not-for-profit corporation whose mandate is to drive economic prosperity for the Edmonton Region. YEG is Canada’s fastest-growing major airport over the past 10 years, the fifth-busiest airport by passenger traffic and the largest major Canadian airport by land area. YEG offers non-stop connections to over 50 destinations across Canada, the US, Mexico, the Caribbean and Europe. At YEG you become part of a tightly knit team, working in a supportive environment, dedicated to fulfilling our vision of more flights to more places.
Is this Role for You?
The successful candidate is accountable for providing Engineering/technical support and technical leadership to several departments including Infrastructure, Engineering, Project Management, Utilities, Operations, Maintenance, Real Estate Development, Property Management, Concessions Development and Edmonton Airports Legal.
Day in The Life
You might be wondering what you can expect in a typical day at work. Every day will bring new opportunities, focusing on key responsibilities, including:
- Providing technical support and guidance to the organization by conducting and documenting technical investigations, feasibility and planning studies, incident investigations and failure analysis.
- Supporting the management of Utilities at Edmonton Airports sites (YEG and ZVL), which includes site wide water, sewer, and electrical utilities. Work may include planning, project management, project support, maintenance support, assistance with utility billings, and resolution of customer billing inquiries.
- Developing and updating Standards and Process documents, Engineering Standards, processes, and procedures.
- Collaborating with Managers and stakeholders on Energy and Carbon Programs regarding the continued development of Edmonton Airports Energy and Carbon programs and reporting on the results.
- Creating project related documents including business cases, project charters and plans.
- Providing technical support to project managers during project scoping and delivery. Assessing feasibility of options and advising accordingly.
- Providing technical support to the review and approval of construction permit processing of utility connection requests and review/approval of fire protection system impairments.
- Being a point of contact for other departments regarding air terminal building and site utilities supply, demand, trends, construction requirements and operational requirements.
- Completed a four-year Engineering Degree or two-to-three-year technical diploma program in Electrical.
- Registered or can be registered as a Certified Engineering Technologist or as a Professional Engineer in Alberta.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in an engineering and/or facilities management field.
- Class 5 driver’s license to drive to various work locations around site.
- Ability to process documents via Microsoft Suite products.
- High degree of precision working with numbers.
- Advanced excel skills would be an asset.
- Ability to work successfully as an individual or in a team to achieve common goals.
- Decision making skills.
- Team skills including active listening, collaborating, and building consensus.
- Use of interpersonal and social processing skills required to interact with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to analyze client requests (could be from property management, facilities maintenance, project management or our tenants), recognize when more information is required in order to meet desired outcomes, and provide it in an appropriate manner.
- Effective verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to be very precise and specific when communicating in writing (technical writing skills). Ability to accurately document complex technical discussions and make a comprehensive and understandable summary of key items discussed and action items.
- Ability to create technical reports in verbiage applicable to the audience - both technical and non- subject matter experts.
- Ability to apply critical thinking, problem analysis and solution sourcing.
- Ability to prioritize and adapt to frequently changing requests and requirements.
- Ability to create drawings, reports, and processes from “blank sheets” i.e., creativity.
- Secure and maintain appropriate airport security clearance and acceptable criminal records check.